Tuesday, October 18, 2016

How To: Declutter

I know, it's the one thing almost everybody dreads but has to be done every once in a while or else you run out space, or even worse, become a hoarder! I'm actually in the process of decluttering myself and thought to share the very simple 'rules' on how to tackle through the process without feeling constantly overwhelmed.

Image via Fresh Ideen
First thing's first; pick a day and stick with it, because the more you procrastinate, the less likely it's going to happen.

Secondly, pick an area and start from there. You shouldn't feel pressured to spend the entire day on it, as you eventually become frustrated and lose interest in completing the whole process. Take your time, and you'll get the best results.

Lastly, you should have 3 different piles when decluttering; the 'trash' pile, 'donation' pile and the 'maybe' pile; for the pieces you're doubtful or hesitant about it. But wait, it doesn't end there. You need to make certain to take care of those piles immediately, because if you're anything like me (which I'm very ashamed to admit) it becomes a part of your home 'decor' over the long haul. And that's just never a good look, trust me.

Below are very helpful questions found on lifeyourway.net that you will need to ask yourself before you start on your mission. Enjoy!

  1. Is this item something I use regularly?
  2. If not, is it something I love?
  3. Am I keeping this out of obligation or expectation?
  4. Am I holding onto this because I think I should love it?
  5. Am I saving this just in case?
  6. Do I have multiples of the same thing?
  7. Could something else I own do the same job?
  8. Am I holding onto an broken item that I can fix one day?
  9. Is this item worth the time I spend cleaning/storing it?
  10. Could I use this space for something else?





No comments:

Post a Comment